Marrakech Quick Facts
- Name: Marrakech
- Population: 1.5 million (3rd biggest)
- Country: Morocco
- Founded: in 1062 by Sultan Youssef Ibn Tachfin
- Region: Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz
- Province: Marrakech Province
- Languages: Moroccan Arabic dialect, Berber languages
- Time: GMT minus one hour / two hours in summer
- Major industries: tourism, textiles, clothing & footwear
- Currency: Moroccan dirham (MAD)
Map of Marrakech Location in Morocco
About Marrakech, Marrakech Information
Marrakech is a city located in the heart of Morocco, on the bottom of the Atlas Mountains. Historically very important, Marrakech was during several periods, the capital of the kingdom. Bustling with tourism and local several handicraft industry, Marrakech is indeed on important city within Morocco itself, contributing to the country’s economic growth.
Ben Youssef Madrassa old religious school inside the old Medina of Marrakech Morocco
Marrakech is connected by motorway to other major Moroccan cities such as Casablanca, Rabat, Tangier and Agadir. Essaouira, Fez and Ouarzazate are connected to Marrakech by normal national roads.
Marrakech temperatures and climates are of contrast between summer and winter times. Expect hot in the summer and some cold nights during the winter. Although snow can be seen from Marrakech on the Atlas Mountains during half of the year, snow never gets to the city, although you can bring your coat during the months of December, January and February. During the months of July and August you’ll probably want to stay indoors or protected by the souks ceilings during the warm part of the days.
Old ramparts of the city of Marrakech Morocco
Practical / useful travel information
Marrakech is a big city and as every big city in the world, many things happen and take place. Spending a couple of days in Marrakech with almost no time to rest is normal and the majority of travelers pass almost the whole day exploring the city’s markets and numerous monuments.
Tourist Info at National Moroccan Tourist Office – « ONMT » Marrakech national tourist office if located on Square Place Abdel Moumen Ben Ali, opens daily from 8:30am until 4:30pm; during summer from 9am until 3pm;
Using phones / calling abroad from Morocco – Calling numbers from Moroccan phones you ought to dial 001 + area code + number calling to the United States, and dialing 0044 + area code + number calling to the United Kingdom. Calling to Morocco you should use Moroccan international dialing number 212; from the USA 011 + 212 (Morocco) + eight digit number without 0); and from the UK 00 + 212 (Morocco) + eight digit number without 0);
Public holidays in Morocco
- January 1 st: New Year’s Day
- January 11 th: Proclamation of Independence
- May 1 st: Labour’s day
- July 30 th: Enthronement
- August 14 th: Oued Ed-Dahab Day
- August 20 th: Revolution of the King and the People
- August 21 st: Youth Day – Birthday of King Mohammed VI
- November 6 th: Green March
- November 18 th: Independence Day – Morocco’s National day