On this page I give you some reasons that might make you want to travel to Marrakech. Information, sightseeing and personal preferences. Tips about what to do in Marrakech the red City – Morocco. I hope you enjoy.
Just in the other day talking with some friends they asked me why should they travel to Marrakech. Their plans for next holidays was to visit Istanbul during 4 days. But, they were quite open to hear whatever I had to say defending Marrakech as a great tourist holidays destination. The fact is that many people think about Marrakech as a shopping travel destination, misunderstanding or not knowing its strong cultural and historical importance in North Africa.
Photo of street Souk Ahl Fez just opposite of Ben Youssef Madrassa and Marrakech Museum deep inside the old districts and old Medina of Marrakech. The word Medina stands for the old parts of Moroccan cities.
Indeed Marrakech is a city with ancient palaces, beautiful gardens, and immense souks where commerce and shopping is a constant, but for example, visiting the old Medina markets and Jewish district is a nice experience. Is not that I don’t like Istanbul – on the contrary, I’ve been to Istanbul more than 5 times during my travel. The point is that my friends only have 4 days of travel, and Marrakech is a great city to spend 4 days.
Photo of street acrobats in Jemaa el Fna Square Marrakech Morocco
Photo of people buying grilled corn in Derb Dabachi street in the old Medina of Marrakech
Why do I like Marrakech?
Personally I like the exotic / chaotic ambiance of Marrakech. The way it feels to be inside a rushing craziness of such a city, so deep attached to many historical features of its past. Marrakech is quite a mystic city and it actually has 7 Patron Saints that somehow still control old people’s religious believes and still a occult pilgrimage to these several sacred places still exists.
Quick “I likes” about Marrakech
- I like to walk around the old Medina tiny medieval streets;
- I like to eat fava bean soup with cumins and olive oil in Dabachi street 8am;
- I like to listen to music at night in Jemaa el Fna UNESCO square;
- I like to visit several workshops to see how people manufacture handicraft such as metal lamps, scarves and carpets;
- I like to drink fresh orange juice in Jemaa el Fna square;
- I like to appreciate Marrakech ramparts with palm trees and the High Atlas Mountains full of snow in the horizon;
- I like to listen to the Muslim call spreading around the old city during prayer time;
- I like to go to Mabrouk cinema and see some Bollywood movie;
- I like to chat with some shops owners about life;
- I like to shave in some barber shop inside the old city;
- I like to shop for pure perfumes in some special perfume shops;
Photo of Marrakech ramparts and Atlas Mountains, Morocco
Quick “Places I like” in Marrakech
- Koutoubia Mosque;
- Jemaa el Fna Square;
- Ben Youssef Madrassa;
- Marrakech Museum;
- Riad Zitoun Jdid and Riad Zitoun El Kdim districts;
- Mellah the Jewish districts;
- Rahba Kedima and Mouassine districts;
- Old caravanserai’s in Kaat Benahid district;
- Bahia and El Badi Palace;
Photo of the inside structure of the beautiful historical building of Ben Youssef Madrassa deep inside the old city of Marrakech
Photo of Marrakech exotic reddish skyline